Brentwood Times

Summertime in Brentwood is painting time.   The front fence was in dire need of a paint job.   The last couple weeks, Linda and I worked on the rail fence, each gets a side and off you go, works pretty slick.   I recently finished up the gate and changed the caps on all the posts.   They previous caps were flat pieces of treated lumber that were going to be junk in a very short period of time due to warping and splitting.  Paint was  not enough to protect the tops.     I searched the internet and could only find one supplier of metal caps for a 9 x 9 inch post, so I replaced them all with copper.  I was hoping for something less expensive, but these numbers should outlast the fence and look pretty snappy.   I took the pictures as soon as I was finished, because accidents do happen with mailboxes.  I was hoping that someone would not run thru the fence with a vehicle before it was done.   

For example, many years ago in Ohio I replaced the post that held up the mailbox at my rural residence.  It looked really good, all painted up and pretty.  Next day, a friend of mine ran over it with his motorcycle and tore it out of the ground.  Next day!!  Ok, if that is way is was going to be, I will do a little upgrade on the post so it would not get destroyed so quickly.   I lived in an area where locust trees are common and I cut one of the biggest  ones I could manage for a post. I dug the hole about 4 foot deep and planted the next mail box post and packed the dirt tight.  Now try this on for size.  I figured if the snow plow got a little sloppy on his aim, he might get a little jolt if he hit it, motorcycles and small cars did not have a chance to move this thing.   Matter of fact,  I did the same thing in Wisconsin on our rural residence, I put in really big osage orange post for the mail box.    The post for that mail box would deflect nearly anything  and the snow plows were a serious threat in that area.    Enough about that.

I have been working on a little different style running for the races in September.  I have been running a 3.3 mile loop that is up hill out and mostly down hill back about 4 times a week.  I am trying to get my breathing and heart rate into a range where I only needs shorts rest periods.  I am getting better with my average speed increasing to around 10 min/mile.  I will probably keep up the 'long runs' for another 3 or 4 weeks and then start to work on the 400 and 800 distances again.   

I have also been slowly working my weight down a little, my official weight is now 197.  I have been eating  a lot of fresh garden veggies-- and we have another great garden this summer.  The third batch of corn is getting ripe and we have a lot of cukes, carrots, green beans, peppers, okra and of course tomatoes and basil for caprese salads. It is so much fun to pick it and within minutes, have it eaten.  The kidney and black beans will be ready to pick in a week of two and we will make a big batch of chili for the freezer. .    Yum Yum.   I have also reduced my beer consumption significantly.  I replaced those carbs with real food and some other sugars.  Chocolate milk works pretty darn good.  So far, so good on reducing the beer, I have a couple only one or two nights a week.  That is a big improvement.

As part of the search for the 'clothing advantage' I purchased some 3/4 length tights made by Salomon.  Salomon is known for ski and trail running gear, but these pants seem to be pretty good for my distance running.   Many clothing suppliers claim that the compression wear makes your heart work less over the same distance and recover faster.   These pants are stretch wear with an outer layer "exo" of compression material that are form fitting for the thighs and hips.   I gave them a try with, compression knee socks and compression sleeves. The pants are basically rolled on, they are really tight and take some planning to get on properly.   My entire leg and arms were compressed and I actually felt pretty good on my loop.   I did notice that my heart rate recovery was really rapid when I would take a  break or walk.   I will keep trying different combinations, if nothing else to break the routine or boredom of distance running.

PS:
I thought about showing a picture of 'before' from the front of the house taken two years ago.  But I didn't, because it would make you wonder why in the heck we bought this overgrown mess.  And I would have to agree with you.  But,  I am glad we bought the place, now two years in,  we can finally calm down and enjoy the grounds, the really messy stuff outside has been fixed.  The kitchen is next, the plans are already being refined.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?