Busy season

 
When I started changing jobs almost 4 weeks ago, I was also going to lose my pick up truck, which was a company owned vehicle. This created a deadline to get the roof work done.   Without a truck to haul around lumber and debris, I was not going to be able to repair the roof on the front porch of our house as planned.   The roof was leaking and had to get repaired this year.   The plastic siding that was covering the old wood -which was completely rotten in many spots-was falling off and it was time to fix it or forget it.  So I rounded up some scaffolding, ordered house jacks--(the porch was 8 inches lower on one end than the other), ordered the metal roofing and started the process.    Last weekend was expected to be rain free and I removed the old roof, did the necessary structure repairs-- (a lot of that)-- and put down the new metal roof.   I looks great and last night it rained really hard for a bit and it did not leak.  That was good news.    
There are also several decorative elements on the porch posts that were rotting on the ends, (as a result of the roof leaks), and needed to be repaired or removed.  They are shaped like a "P" with small holes drilled for relief.   I removed them and will repair as needed.  They are made of three boards that are cut to shape and then nailed together.  They add nothing structurally, but do break up the silhouette and give the owner somewhere to put some accent color.  When I reinstall them, they will not be completely white.   With the roof on, I can repair the decorative elements at my leisure, and complete the other work that was a result of the water damage.  Also, putting on some paint that might be a more than white with a splash of white is an important part of the process.
 
Last weekend, March 29 was my sister's birthday.  She would have been 53.  If you think something is wrong with you, go the doctor.  Waiting solves nothing. 
 
Our daughter Rosemary is in town for the Easter weekend.  She flew in from Austin yesterday.  I flew in from Portland about an hour earlier, so I just met her at the gate. The airports were pretty busy yesterday, the Spring breakers mixed with the normal Friday traffic really made for a crowd.    Today is spa day and I need it after the long plane rides this week.  The planes seats are hard on my back.    We are also going to The Hermitage Hotel for Easter Brunch, they do it real nice. Eating and relaxing, I like the sound of that. 
 
Next up is gardening and mowing,  I am a little behind because of the porch repairs.  This week I am not planning on any travel and can hopefully get the dirt tilled and some planting started.
 
I am still getting some treadmill work in to stay in shape on my trips.   I am running a couple times a week and when we get some warm weather, I will get outside.  No current injuries to report and that is my main goal this year--run healthy.   I feel strong when I run, so I think I will have a good season for the oldest man in the group-- 55 to 59. I need to lose a few more pounds, but otherwise, I feel ready to race.
 
 
 
   

Comments

  1. While a leak may not seem like much at first, it could be a symptom of a bigger problem. So it’s always better to find out what is causing it, and see if it is easily fixable. But for something that needs major repairs, you have the option to fix it up like it was brand new, or go with an entirely new look. And that metal roof is a good way to go, as it will last much longer than most roofing materials and is quite affordable. Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us. I hope you won’t encounter any more problems with the roof in the future. Good day!

    Betsy Keller @ Above All Roofing Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s great! Despite not having the truck to haul lumbers and debris, you still manage to finish the roof. It’s nice to know that the metal roof is doing fine, and that you are no longer encountering leaks after its installation. Anyway, thanks for sharing!


    Pleasance Faast @ Shelton Roofing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?