Tennessee State Finals


55 to 59 200 meters medalists
I have trying to write this blog since the State Finals meets almost two weeks ago, I have been busy to say the least.  But the meet was very successful and it was a great tune up for the Nationals in 9 days.   I medaled in all three events I was in.   I did not get any golds this trip, I won two silvers and a bronze.   But I ran really fast in the 50 m and 200 meters and was beaten by the new and younger guy-- Lyon Fleming # 1387.  He is just starting his career in the Sr Circuit.   I was visiting with Lyon and he indicated that he ran longer distance stuff and was working out one day when he was basically approached by George Siros --a star in the 80-84 mens division-- and thought he would give it a shot.   He ran a 28.09 200 meter and a 7.01 50 meters and won both events!   George found some real talent in Lyon. 

The picture of Lyon and me with Jerry Crowe was taken right after the 200 meter event, which was easily the best race of the weekend.  I love to be in the nailbiter, lean fest finishes.  We were basically in a dead heat the entire final straight and Lyon got me by 0.08 seconds and Jerry by 0.3 seconds.  Linda got it on video as well and it was quite a race.  I ran about as hard as I could and may be able to get below 28 at nationals depending on the conditions.   The conditions for this meet were hot on Sunday and a head wind.  We had to do a lot of waiting around the starting lines and I was surprised that we did not dehydrate and get injured.   If we can handle those conditions, nothing at the Nationals in Minnesota will give us a problem.
I wanted to defend my state record in the 50 m and Lyon broke it and reset it to 7.01 and I actually broke the old record, but ran third at 7.30.  I was real happy with that race, but got beat.  I think I jumped the start, but it was legal and it was real fun race.

I had an opportunity to visit with Chris Edlin from Carroll county in Tennessee.  He is in the young men's class and won the 50 meters and ran very solid at the meet.  Chris has been following my blog since the beginning and I wanted to give a really nice person a shout out.  Thanks for following me Chris.  I had conversations with some other people who like this blog and I appreciate your support.  I like doing this, it helps my writing and gives me an outlet to vent when it is needed, and hopefully some info to help the other senior athletes stay healthy and fast.

Charlie Baker, George Siros and Evelyn all ran this year and won their divisions.  Charlie and George are the royalty and are just gifts to the sport.  George is in the 80-84 division and recruited Lyon and told me he woke up at 3:00 AM on meet day and could not go back to sleep--too nerved up!!  You got to love the passion, I hope I can keep it as long as he has.  George beat Charlie by 0.2 seconds in the 200 m, Charlie is in the 85 to 89 division and they ran the same heat.  George was really worried about beating Charlie, different class, but who cares--he hates losing.   Evelyn won the 50 m in her class, she has two new knees, that is a real recovery!!  Keep it up, gives a lot of hope to the other folks that struggle to get around.   She did her best and that is what these events are all about, compete against your self and give it.....

I am ready the nationals and I think Tennessee is going to have a good shot at the 55-59 mens 4 x 100 relay.  The groups shown along with another speedster will be in the relay and I think we have a legit shot a medal.    A medal would really be a big deal, this is some elite racing and you have to perform when that gun sounds.  No excuses.

I had little soreness after either day of running and was actually surprised of the lack of muscle soreness.  They were really fatigued, I stretched on Monday and they were really dead but felt fine.  My stretching has been effective and I also wore a lot of compression wear during the weekend to keep the fluids from accumulating.  This something that I will repeat in Minnesota.     Speaking in Minnesota, I am in Wisconsin this week and I did run one evening at the "Papermakers" track.  Nice facility, with turf and synthetic track.  The wind was stiff and if I ran into the wind, it was the best workout.  I used my parachute for a couple of 100 meter sprints, but keep snapping the connectors, it was a stiff breeze.   If you ran with the wind, it was like a vacuum with no resistance and not a good workout, nothing to be learned.   So I got in some good sprints and struggled to stay warm, it was in the 70's and trying to rain.  So the gear needed will be a little different in the North country.     Last week, I ran at the local track near home in fowl weather.   Racing at this level happens regardless of weather, lightning will stop the action, but rain is not a problem.   I got warmed up and it started to rain and I ran some really good sprints as the rain increased.  I was running in a track that 1/4 inch deep in water at the end.   The lightning was getting close, so I headed for the vehicle.   A couple things were learned about rain running--wear your glasses, a thin top and make sure your shoes are tight.   The rain will basically blind you, the shirt will hold a lot of water and your feet will slip in the shoes and that is a bad feeling.   It was fun to do some rain running, but not something that I would suggest unless the heat is just too oppressive.

There is a lot more on Facebook about the race, so you can probably get the video and other posts from Jerry and Lyon if you look.  Back to work

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?